Prepare Your Home For Sale Checklist
Part 2 – Shape Up Inside Spaces
Last week, we discussed the changes you can make on the outside as you get ready to put your house on the market.
In Part Two of our Prepare Your Home For Sale Checklist, we cover the Seven Steps to Shape Up Your Inside Spaces, your checklist for preparing the inside of the house.
- Clean the entire home!
- Windows & screens.
- Curtains, drapes & blinds.
- Carpets. If pet stains exist replace carpet & pad.
- Clean & wax wood floors.
- Vinyl & ceramic floors.
- Clean, paint or replace all vent covers.
- Clean, polish, paint/stain wood trim in home.
- Clean all lamp shades & covers.
- Be sure to remove pet & smoke odor when cleaning. Smell is a huge part of what buyers remember about your home.
- Freshly paint home using white, off white or beige paint. This will match the buyers furnishings.
- Repair damages to walls & ceilings. Includes: holes, cracks, & water stains.
Kitchen & Baths
- Thoroughly clean all counter tops, appliances, mirrors, ovens, sinks, toilets, tub, & shower walls.
- Put away the small appliances to open up counter space.
- blender, canisters, coffee maker, etc.
- Clear off vanity counter tops & store all personal care items neatly.
- Clean ventilating hood & exhaust fans.
- Remove rust stains from sinks and bathtubs.
- New knobs on drawers & cabinets make a difference.
- Clean & organize drawers, cabinets, & linen closets.
- Clean all tile grout & caulk. (Clorox Bleach Pen & Mr. Clean Magic Eraser).
- Re-caulk areas that can not be cleaned.
Make House Light & Bright!
- Replace bulbs with high wattage bulbs.
- The brighter the better!
Closets – Make them appear larger!
- Remove ‘out of season’ clothing from closets.
- Leave only a few items on the floor of closets.
- Add extra, empty hangers.
- Organize your shoes on racks.
- Neatly arrange items on shelving.
- Leave extra space on shelves and floor.
Pay Close Attention to the Little Things
- Tighten loose door knobs.
- Fix any leaky faucets.
- Tighten loose towel racks.
- Oil any squeaky doors or drawers.
- Arrange furniture to give an open feel. Remove any unnecessary or over sized furniture.
- Make sure all switches & outlets are clean & working properly.
- Place fresh flower arrangements throughout home.
- Make sure windows open & close with out squeaking.
- Hide Prescription medication. Theft of these items is rising.
Heating & Cooling
- Clean fireplaces and remove smoke stains.
- Clean your furnace / air conditioner and replace filter if needed.
- Clean water heater.
Garage, Basement, Attic, & Storage Areas
- Dispose of everything you are not going to move.
- Arrange items neatly & clutter free.
- Consider painting walls & ceilings white.
- Remove stains & dirt from floor.
- Consider painting the floors gray.
- Organize garden tools & equipment.
- Remove or clean muddy work boots.
- Wipe off dirt and spider webs from water heater, furnace, washer & dryer.
- Cure water problems in basement. Seek professional advice if needed.
Use common sense to prepare your home to sell. While it does take time to prepare your home, it may not take much money since many of the items on this checklist are FREE! In the end it will help to add visual appeal, result in better showings, and possibly get you a higher selling price.
Once you have completed the list above, take a look at the house from a street view. Do you see anything that could be changed or fixed that would help sell this home. If not, then you are ready for us to do what we do best – Sell your house!